06 February 2008

A dose of perspective

Don't get me wrong - I love sports. I enjoy reading about, writing about, playing sports. But sometimes things happen that make me take a step back and realize how little sports matter in the big picture.

Right now, I'm sitting in my room with the door locked. The entire campus is locked down. Somewhere on campus, a suicidal student, possibly with a gun, is wandering around while the police look for him or her.

This is the second time this semester that the campus has been on lockdown; the previous time, a student actually killed himself. The police tried to search him, and he shot himself in the head.

Sorry for the slightly scrambled post - I'm having a bit of trouble organizing my thoughts at the moment. I hope that this situation turns out differently than the previous one. I hope no one - whether the student or anyone else - gets hurt. I hope that this doesn't happen again.


UPDATE 4:39 PM
The student is on her way to the hospital (I don't have any more information) and the lockdown has been lifted. I and my residents are okay.

No comments: