10 July 2008

The Pursuit of Mr. Blue

When I was in middle school, I was given a book of short stories by G.K. Chesterton entitled The Complete Father Brown.

One of my favorite stories within the collection was "The Pursuit of Mr. Blue," and featured a mystery in which a murderer, by virtue of having been seen first, was assumed to have been innocent, while his victim, because of having been seen after the first, presumably innocent, man, was assumed to have been pursuing him with some unseemly goal (murder).

When I read this article from ESPN.com writer Josh Pahigian, and encountered "Daytona Beach manager Bobby Hoffman," I naturally assumed that "Hoffman," the first spelling of the name I encountered, was correct, and that the "Hofman" which appeared throughout the rest of the article was a repeated error.

Then I Googled both names, and found out that "Bobby Hofman" was a respected baseball player, scout, and manager, while "Bobby Hoffman" was most notable for fighting MMA artist Fedor Emelianenko in a series of cage fights.

Lessons to be learned from this somewhat extended explanation:

1. Never assume that the first spelling of a name in an article is the correct one.
2. Josh Pahigian failed to proofread his article before submitting it.

Have a great day, everyone!

Screenshot:

No comments: