22 August 2008

Death of an autodeist

Greetings, all.

Before we begin: my apologies for not posting for a few days. Tropical Storm Fay has unleashed its... uh... wrath, I guess, upon us, and things have been slightly hectic. Never worrisome (with the exception of a few hours when the power went out and the dorm was plunged into near-complete darkness, but there have been a long series of incidents to deal with.

Now on to the good stuff. While I was reading this article on ESPN.com, I noticed that Tom Friend had used the line "the ignominy of that draft day." I believed I had found an error, and began to gloat a bit to myself as I began to write a post making fun of ESPN.com writers' ignorance and lack of spellchecking.

Then I did a quick Merriam-Webster search to confirm that "ignominy" should have been "ignonimy," and realized that, in this case at least, it was I who was ignorant.

Mr. Friend: my apologies. You wrote a solid article, and you spelled "ignominy" correctly. There are some few areas, I suppose, in which my knowledge may be imperfect.

No comments: