28 October 2008

Something to think about.

I briefly considered adding this as the end of my Two Link Tuesday post, but it didn't seem to fit thematically, so I decided to publish it separately.

I would like to throw out a link to this article by SportsIllustrated's Arash Markazi detailing a meeting he had with John Wooden shortly after the former UCLA coach's 98th birthday.

There was a prayer that Wooden apparently says every night that really stood out to me, and that I felt I should highlight here.

The years have left their imprint -- on my hands and on my face -- erect no longer is my walk and slower is my pace. But there is no fear within my heart because I am growing old; I only wish I had more time to better serve my Lord. When I've gone to him in prayer he has brought me inner peace, and soon my cares and worries and other problems cease. He's helped me in so many ways, he's never let me down, why should I fear the future when soon I could be near his ground. Though I know down here my time is short, there is endless time up there and he will forgive and keep me forever in his love and care.


Whoa.

Beyond the somewhat hokey rhyming, I hope that, if and when I reach Wooden's age, I can view my own life and death with that kind of grace.

Have a great day, everyone.

No comments: