28 February 2009

Kellen Winslow to the Bucs: thoughts

According to ESPN.com, the Bucs have traded for Browns TE Kellen Winslow.

I'm not a big Winslow fan.

Don't get me wrong - Winslow is a big, fast, athletic tight end. He's a vertical threat in a way that no Bucs tight end has been before. But he'll draw a lot of media attention - a lot of unpleasant media attention - that, to me, will outweigh the benefits of his on-field contributions.

Also, he's from the University of Miami. While a couple of University of Miami players have made contributions to the Bucs in the recent past - see Warren Sapp (okay, so not that recent), UM athletics really rubs me the wrong way.

The final verdict will come, I think, when I find out exactly what the Bucs gave up for him; if it's a similar price to what the Saints gave up for Jeremy Shockey (a 2nd and a 5th round draft pick), I'd say that Winslow came too expensive. A 3rd and a 5th, say, and I'd be okay with the deal. We'll see.

Off to Seattle now! Have a great day, all.

No comments: