19 February 2010

The sea, the majestic sea...



Corinne Bailey Rae has come up with a heck of an album. I've been listening to it on and off for a while now, and I just keep liking it better and better.

Corinne Bailey Rae - Are You Here


That's not, of course, to say that this is easy music. It's easy to listen to, certainly, if you aren't listening very carefully. Even then, though, there are moments when you find the lyrics pulling you in -

I could see the lights from the restaurant
I couldn't quite perfect that nonchalance
Paris and champagne with one brown sugar cube

And we danced while the band played "She's not there"
Kissed me in the rain by the Rue Voltaire
It's a perfectly good way to ruin those silk shoes


There's a wistfulness and a desperation permeating every moment of this album. It's beautiful, entrancing... and heartbreaking. Rae's voice floats between guitars and pianos, always slightly out-of-kilter, never clinging to any one note before beginning its slide to the next.



I've been thinking about trauma lately, and about time. (my research in a nutshell...) Rae's voice floats in between moments, inhabiting the silences between the sparse accompaniment's notes, sliding gently above the occasional strings or quiet brass.

This album's pretty good, was I guess kind of what I was wanting to say. When the last note of the final (title) track, the brilliant "The Sea", the listener can't help but be drawn in, possibly for a replay. And then another...

This is music that's easy to get lost in.

Corinne Bailey Rae - The Sea


Have a great day, y'all.

No comments: