27 May 2010

On Manliness

So I figured, in more or less the mode of Matthew Arnold, I'd just throw a collection of Movie Clips That Are Manly out there - touchstones of awesomeness, if you will - and let them stand on their own, with a relative minimum of explanation.

Manly Touchstone #1: Jet Li, 'Fearless'

It's always fun watching a small fellow completely kick the cr@p out of gentlemen (and I use the term loosely) much larger than himself. Watching him do it without losing that little superior smile only intensifies the badassery.




Manly Touchstone #2: Denzel Washington, 'Remember the Titans'

"We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football, and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts. And then you will run a mile. Perfection. Let's go to work."




Manly Touchstone #3: Mel Gibson, 'We Were Soldiers'

Say what you like about Mel Gibson outside of films. Heck, say what you like about his acting in them. But you can't tell me that he doesn't have some awesome moments of significant manliness. The "we're about to go to war, we're a family now, and I'm looking out for all y'all" is conveyed brilliantly in this speech.




Hmm... I need to get back to work now. Perhaps this could become a multi-part series? We shall, I suppose, see...

No comments: