24 June 2010

The Portland Trip: Part the Third

Video/music for y'all to start out with:

The xx - Crystalised


So I figured for today, since I've been studying all evening and I'm about to fall asleep (yes, I know it's still fairly early, but I've been up since 5:00 this morning, so it works out to a fairly long day), I'd just give y'all a rundown of the final scenario we did at the Rosehip training. It was kind of fun. If you're just happening by, here's my first post on the Portland trip, and here's Part Deux. Hurrah Charlie Sheen!

The last day of training (after the first evening, which some of us Seattle folk missed due to the events chronicled in the first post, and the second awesome day, chronicled coincidentally in the second), was pretty awesome. More of fixing stuff, more practice. I'm a wee bit tired right now, so I'll skip straight towards the mid-afternoon scenario.

Situation: we get sent to treat 'protesters' who're waiting for assistance. We approach, broad daylight, people milling about and/or lying/sitting on the ground. Manarchist (portrayed by BL) walks up to the group, bandanna still over his face, gesturing, blood on the side of his pants, second degree burns on right hand, talking to us about how much the other folks needed help.

My partner and I asked if he needed help; he said no, so we moved on towards the rest of the group. One girl was sitting quietly on the ground not really doing anything; we asked her if she was all right, and she said that she'd passed out earlier and was feeling kind of dizzy. Her skin was hot and dry; we checked to make sure she hadn't hit her head or fallen awkwardly (she hadn't), and that she had no other injuries (she didn't) or allergies / other medical conditions (none). After we'd made sure that nothing more immediately pressing was wrong with her, we walked her over to a shaded area and gave her some water.

Awesome. While this was going on, another patient (one who'd been hit in the head) started seizing; he stopped right around the time that one of the Rosehip folks walked up to me, said that, for the purposes of the scenario, he was a friend of mine and that I trusted him. And that the cops were about four minutes away, coming from the east and the west, and we all needed to start heading south immediately.

I talked with my partner, who started walking south with our patient (and with my bottle of water), then started talking with the other trainees who were around, letting them know what was going on. About half the patients were good to walk, so they and their teams started heading out; some of the others, not so much: the patient who'd had the head injury and the seizure was still unconscious; one guy had a spine injury and wasn't safe to move; etc.

Upshot, the 'cops' (rosehips in cop hats) get there, a few of us get 'arrested' (in this case, there was no chance to talk with them and say anything, so we most probably would have been fine in real life), and we're told that the scenario is over, so we should start heading back inside to debrief. We do.

As we're walking back, we hear screaming and yelling behind us; the 'cops' have started pepper-spraying our former patients, who have conveniently wandered back towards them. Hurrah. And at this point, I've got no materials for eye flushes and no more gloves, so BSI (body substance isolation, basically making sure that I don't transfer anything from patient to patient or from patient to me... like, say, AIDS or, in this case, pepper spray) is going to be a problem. Being the brilliant tactician that I am, I immediately start walking towards the screaming, flailing, pseudo-pepper-spray-covered folk, thinking to talk them towards a place where they can get help... and, predictably, take a full blast right in my face.

Fantastic. So now my partner has to pull me away and eyeflush me (which she does quite effectively, I must say), thus depriving the folks we're trying to treat of a very useful medic for a few moments. Oops. Still. We managed to get folks away from the pepper spray area (it was actually just water, but, hey, we could pretend) and treat them (thanks for the gloves, D!) and things turned out pretty well.

Overall, a fairly successful performance from our group; good communication, and nobody panicked when things got a little crazy. I thought I did all right, albeit I made the one stupid mistake, and, hey, it's not like getting pepper sprayed is the end of the world. It sucks, sure, but you can deal with it.

So, yeah. After the training, TM was good enough to give me, BL, and NC a ride back to Seattle (thanks so much!), and I collapsed into my bed in much the manner I'm going to now. All y'all have a great night.

...and here's a picture of some awesome graffiti.

No comments: