22 July 2010

The Top 5

I know I put a lot of newfangled indie music up on here, but I wouldn't want for that to give y'all the wrong impression. I still got myself a lot of love for the classics.

Oh really, you say? Possibly with an owl, to which I shall not link due to the played-outness of that particular meme?

To this, I respond with a 'yeah really', similarly sans linked owl. To prove it: here's my top five most-played songs, according to my iTunes. I'll even present them in a countdown format, linked to YouTube clips, with explanations of why, exactly, I find them so awesome. Sound like fun?

Well, if not... I'd say 'tough', but you could just, you know, not read the rest of the post.

-----------------------------

Song Number 5: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

I'd call this an underrated part of Skynyrd's ouvre, and maybe the only song of theirs that can match Free Bird for pure straightforward majesty. That guitar part at the beginning is just absolutely lovely.



----------------------------------

Song Number 4: The Felice Brothers - Don't Wake the Scarecrow

Not exactly a classic... yet, I'd say. Certainly has a vintage sort of sound to it, though, doesn't it? I find this song to be kind of gorgeous, certainly worth repeat listens - like, for example, the repeat listens I seem to have given it.



------------------------------------

Song Number 3: AC/DC - Hell's Bells

You know it, you love it. You can't get enough of it. Another song with an absolutely iconic sort of opening, another song that you absolutely can't resist singing along to - even if, like me, you can't come anywhere close to matching those high notes.



------------------------------------

Song Number 2: Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Jaw-dropping. Intense. Dude. Awesome. Adjectives. Adverbs. I really like this song, and I'm not the only one. I mean, I like a lot of Nirvana's music - Heart Shaped Box, Lithium, and others are among my favorite songs - but the unplugged performance, and this song in particular, make my spine go all tingly.



-------------------------------------

Song Number 1: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

If you know me at all, did you really expect anything else? One of the greatest songs of the 20th century, absolutely an amazing piece of music, and one that I listen to over and over again and never seem to get tired of. I've listened to this song easily more than any other on my iTunes, and I don't think that's going to change any time in the near future.





So. There's my top 5. I'm not going to say that these are my five favorite songs, but they're the ones that I keep coming back to more than any others, and I'm guessing there's a reason for that.

All y'all have a great evening, I'm going to go get some work done.

No comments: