03 November 2010

The Morning After

So... yeah. Elections were yesterday. I'm gonna spend a few minutes here copying and pasting some quotes with which I tend to agree, and then get to the real work of finishing up an essay for tomorrow's class.

Note: I can't vouch for the validity of any of these quotes. I'm throwing sentiments at the page here, not history.



"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
- George Bernard Shaw

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right."
- Henry Mencken

"When a whole nation is roaring patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"It's not the voting that's democracy, it's the counting."
- Tom Stoppard

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
- Emma Goldman

No comments: