07 November 2010

The Night you were Born

- Tell me a story, Dad.

- What do you want to hear?

- Something pretty. Something I haven't heard before.

- Do you want to hear about David and Jonathan and King Saul and Samuel and how David became the king of Israel?

- No, Dad, I know that one already.

- Do you want to hear about how your great-grandfather came to America on a big boat and saw the Statue of Liberty like a church steeple for a whole country?

- No, Dad, I know that one already.

- Do you want to hear about the night you were born?

- Sure, Dad. Tell me about that.

- Your mother is the most beautiful woman in the world.

- I know that, Dad. I'm smart.

- You sure are, son. But did you know that she's one of the world's best storytellers, too? The night you were born, she told me the most wonderful stories.

No comments: