15 November 2011

Loss of Faith: Penn State Column

Well-written, well-considered, heartbreaking post from Thomas L. Day, a veteran, a Catholic, a graduate student, and a former Second Mile Foundation participant.

Here's the link.

Day breaks down, precisely and carefully, why he's lost faith in his parents' generation. I find that, despite my different story, I agree almost completely. I'll excerpt some (nonconsecutive) key passages, but the essence of this article is in the way it builds grievance upon grievance. Read the whole thing. Please.

I have decided to continue to respect my elders, but to politely tell them, “Out of my way.”


Think of the world our parents’ generation inherited. They inherited a country of boundless economic prosperity and the highest admiration overseas, produced by the hands of their mothers and fathers. They were safe. For most, they were endowed opportunities to succeed, to prosper, and build on their parents’ work.


For those of us in our 20s and early 30s, this is not the world we are inheriting.


We looked to Washington to lead us after September 11th. I remember telling my college roommates, in a spate of emotion, that I was thinking of enlisting in the military in the days after the attacks. I expected legions of us -- at the orders of our leader -- to do the same. But nobody asked us. Instead we were told to go shopping.


We looked for leadership from our churches, and were told to fight not poverty or injustice, but gay marriage. In the Catholic Church, we were told to blame the media, not the abusive priests, not the bishops, not the Vatican, for making us feel that our church has failed us in its sex abuse scandal and cover-up.


This week the world found the very worst of human nature in my idyllic Central Pennsylvania home. I found that a man my community had anointed a teacher and nurturer of children, instead reportedly had them hiding in his basement. The anger and humiliation were more than I could bear. I can’t wait for my parents’ generation’s Joshua any longer. They’ve lost my faith.

No comments: