09 December 2011

We Need to Talk About Kevin




I finished up Dhalgren today, so I figured I'd take a little time out between portfolios to watch a movie. This was the one I picked. It was... delightful.

That's half-serious. Tilda Swinton is, as always, excellent, and this is one of the only films in which I've ever been able to tolerate John C. Reilly.

Of course, everything goes horribly wrong - as you can probably tell from the trailer.

Really, though, nothing was ever right.

We know this from the first scenes of the film. A celebration is difficult to tell from a riot. Is there a difference? Everything is and must be overturned. The sudden rush of joy and terror is the same; we believe in order, we are unwilling to transform ourselves or our surroundings, because we have lived only within order.

Order is death. Without change, there can be no life. Would Eva have continued without the catastrophe?

Perhaps. I think not.

No comments: