30 March 2012

Rage funk

Yeah. Normally, I pride myself on maintaining a reasonably even presentation - sometimes an unreasonably even presentation. I've had two people in the past week mention that it's impossible to read my face, but I always look like I'm listening and have something intelligent to add.

One professor told me that I'd be a perfect straight man. I'm pretty sure she meant that in the comedic sense.

Today, I'm having some difficulty with that. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed - or would have, if I had a bed (I sleep on a mat on the floor of my room). Found myself immediately and unreasonably pissed off, to such an extent that I debated not coming in to school. Eventually did, since I've got office hours.

Know that I've got things to read - stacks and stacks of essays and books - there's always more to work on - but didn't feel like doing any of it.

So I logged on to the internet, and, immediately, what do I find?

- NY cyclist killed by flatbed truck that made illegal turn; pigs say cyclist was at fault, refuse to release information.

- NY cop accidentally discharges weapon, shoots Japanese tourist sleeping on couch.
One of the officers had his badge in one hand and gun in the other as he entered the apartment, and police said his gun accidentally fired. The bullet went through the floor below, grazing a 25-year-old woman in her arm as she slept in her living room, said New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne.
- White supremacist (screenname klanklannon) hacks Trayvon Martin's emails and Facebook account, changes passwords to "niggerniggernigger" and "coontrayvonnigger"

- Columbia Journalism Review confirms that, as I suggested in my last post, the fake pictures that are being used to attack Trayvon Martin's character did in fact originate at Stormfront.

- Police video shows an apparently uninjured (i.e. not bleeding from the back of his head, not apparently having any trouble breathing with a closed mouth as one would expect if he'd had a broken nose) George Zimmerman.

- Hospital says Anna Brown is drug seeker, has her arrested; she dies on the floor of a police cell.
When Brown, 29, refused to leave the emergency room at St. Mary’s Health Center in Richmond Heights, Mo., a suburb near inner St. Louis, the police thought she was on drugs and arrested her for trespassing. She’d already been examined, and a doctor said she was healthy enough to go to jail.

The police carried her into a jail cell by her arms and ankles, her body slackened. There were a couple of beds in the cell, but they left her on the concrete floor. A couple of officers stood by the door as she writhed and moaned, and then they walked away. “They thought she was a drug seeker,” an officer said later.

She had stopped moving within 15 minutes and was pronounced dead a short time later.
Just... uggh. Hopefully things get better as the day goes along, because this isn't what you might call the best morning I've had.

Music, one more pretty thing post, and I'm out for the weekend. Peace.

No comments: